Monday, April 16, 2007

Planning a Tour


PLANNING A TOUR
Making one job turn into three

by Kelly Swanson
President, North Carolina Storytelling Guild

April, 2007


Have you ever taken a job out of town for less than your normal rate? Have you ever wished that you could find a way to make more money out of each job? Have you ever wanted an excuse to visit your favorite vacation spot? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this is the article for you.

As artists, many of us struggle to make a living doing what we love to do. We are so filled with passion that we are willing to work for next to nothing if that’s what it takes. And often we get discouraged when the phone doesn’t ring. Or we look at the upcoming month of bookings and know that we face another month of eating boxed noodles. This is the life of a starving artist, hence the term. And it will always be our struggle to bring in more business. But take comfort in the fact that there are ways to make more money with the jobs you’ve got. And, like everything else in the world of marketing, it doesn’t just naturally happen. You have to make it happen. Quite often in our business the answer isn’t in working harder, but working smarter. And today I’m going to share four areas where you can start working smarter.

Product
If you are a speaker or performer, at some point you will want to look into creating books, CD’s, and DVD’s. People like to take a piece of you home after the show. It’s a great way to double your money on a job. But it’s also easier said than done, and you don’t want to create something that doesn’t represent you in a professional way. So don’t be in so much of a hurry that you spend all your money to create something that a year later you wish you could take back. But also understand that there are other ways to sell product.

Make a manual, put a cute cover on it, bind it, and sell it in the back of the room for more than it cost you to make it. You’re probably wondering what the manual should be about. If you are teaching a workshop, then make your manual be a how-to book. If you are a humorist, do a manual on how to add humor to your life. If you are a storyteller, do a manual on how to use stories in your classroom or in your home. I have seen speakers bring little gadgets to sell in the back. If you are an artist, bring some stuff you have made to sell. Wouldn’t it be cool if you are a storyteller that uses gourds to tell stories and sold story gourds in the back of the room? Or maybe gourds with a manual on how to do your own story gourd. I once saw a storyteller who used a little wooden dancing puppet in his show. Turns out he sold them in the back after the show. I loved them so much I bought six to use when I do kid shows. My mother has an embroidery machine. I’m going to get her to sew one of my cartoons on a t-shirt or a bag and sell it in the back of the room. I know that some of you have skills as an artist. Make a fun story pin, have a story behind it, and sell it in the back of the room. Have fun and use your imagination. Just don’t lose sight of your purpose which is to create something you can sell to make a profit.

You may not be ready for a professional CD yet, but there are ways to sell recordings of your show. Invest in a digital recorder that will record a show that can then be transferred to your computer. At this point you can save it as a file and email it or save it to a CD. Voila! You have a recording of the show to sell. You can sell the CD’s the day of the show and promise to mail them within the week. Make sure you know what you’re doing. You’d hate to sell a recording and find out you forgot to turn the thing on. I’ve heard of speakers selling thirty-minute CD’s for ten dollars. But the digital recorder is expensive, so let me give you another option.

I want you to know about Audacity Recording software. If you do a Google search for “Audacity Free Recording Software” you will find a site that allows you to download the free recording software. Here is one site where I found it: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. Don’t go to Audacity.com because that is an actual recording studio’s website. Audacity Software can be downloaded onto your computer. It allows you to tape directly into your computer and edit it. I needed a microphone to plug into my computer. My husband had one lying around, so it didn’t have to be specific to my computer. You can save the recording as an MP3 and copy it to disc or email the recording or post it on your website. That’s how I did the demo clips on my Promotion page if you want to listen (http://www.kellyswanson.net/). Though it isn’t as good or effective as a live show, the quality is good and it doesn’t cost anything. I love it.

I have a professional CD, but I plan on doing some more CD’s by taping stories directly into my Audacity software and then saving them to CD. One time a client didn’t choose me because she wasn’t sure how I could do motivational speaking. So I jumped on my computer, taped it, and emailed it to her. She loved it. When Mother’s Day comes around I will tape some stories that have to do with mothers and sell it wherever I have a show on Mother’s Day. Same thing for the holidays – a collection of Christmas stories. What great Christmas gifts. Audacity is also good for those times when you need an audition demo that has very specific time and content requirements. Now you can create one on demand. Too cool. Make sure you have access to someone with some computer knowledge in case you run into some questions while downloading.

Extra Services on Location
Be aware of what other talents you possess – what other values you can offer your audience. If you are a storyteller, then chances are good that you can teach a Storytelling 101 class. If you make a living as a storyteller, then you know how to start your own business as an artist. You may have some great ideas about how to use storytelling in your church, or how to craft a presentation. If you are funny, then you probably have tips on humor. If you are a natural in front of an audience, then you can show CEO’s how to be natural when giving speeches. You might be a good coach or have skills at designing websites. Take inventory of your assets and next time you get a call, make sure that they know the other things you can do. This may be an incentive to bring you back again, or to put you in a more lucrative spot. You really need to think about who is calling and what they would find of value. For example, if I’m going to entertain a group of teachers with my comedy, I would make sure that they know I can teach workshops on how to incorporate storytelling in the classroom as a teaching tool. If I’m hired as the entertainment at a Professional Women’s Conference, I would want them to know that I can also teach a breakout session on Website Positioning in the Marketplace. I just made that one up, but sure sounds good doesn’t it! I am surprised at how many people out there want to learn how to do what I do. You might find yourself in the same position.

I heard a new idea recently of offering coaching sessions while on location. Basically, you tell them that you are available for personal coaching sessions for $x an hour. I think this is a neat idea and plan on trying it the next time I have a job in a venue which would allow for such an activity.

Creating Other Jobs in the Area
This is sometimes harder than you might think but definitely worth the effort for many reasons. When you have a job far from home, try to get other jobs in the area while you are there. It helps to offer a discount as an incentive for them to book you that particular week. Here is how I have worded emails in the past:

Award-winning storyteller and comedian, Kelly Swanson, will be teaching a comedy workshop in your area on June 2, 2007. She is offering a discount to anyone who books a show or workshop in the area the week of June 1st. She offers programs for children and adults, as well as a workshop for artists on how to start their own business. For more information, see http://www.kellyswanson.net/

Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn’t. But even if you don’t get business, you are getting your name out there and planting the seed. You never know what may come of it. I have had people say, “No, we don’t need anybody that week. However, we do have a conference in September, would you be interested in coming back?”

The internet will be your starting and ending point. No need to use anything else. Plan on spending hours in front of it. I recommend that you create a system for booking your own tour - a list of who you call in every case. That’s what I did. And I based my list on the typical places where I have been known to get work. Sometimes I call and sometimes I email. I will look up any old business I had in that area and give them a call to ask if they can recommend someone who might be interested in having me come while I’m in town. Here is my list. Copy it if you’d like, but make sure that it’s a list that works for you.

Visitor’s Centers
Chambers of Commerce
Businesses in the area – usually listed on the Chamber’s site
Arts Councils
Children’s Museums
Birthday Party Hosting Sites (if you do kids’ shows)
Schools
Libraries
Churches
Book Stores
Rotaries - you may not get paid, but you can sell product and/or get your name out
Junior Leagues
Kiwanis
Ladies Groups
Civic Groups
Event Planners / Meeting Planners
Friends and Relatives who live in the area and can provide referrals

Press Releases
Press releases are a good idea for many reasons. When you know you are performing in an area, send a press release to the local media contacts. Again, use the internet to find them. You will often get some media exposure, maybe even an article on the front page of the local paper. You may not see the benefit right away, but sometimes you do. I have gotten many bookings from people who have just read about me in an article, and many bookings from those who remembered reading about me in that article a year ago. Press Releases are easy (Google a sample press release to learn how to do one) and you get much more out of them than you put into them.

And there you have it, four areas where you can start working smarter. If you are already doing this, congratulations. Maybe you’ve gotten slack and needed a reminder. Or maybe this is all new to you. Doesn’t matter. It works for everybody. And it doesn’t require upper level thinking to do it.

Even if these things don’t result in business right away, quite often they will result in business later down the line. Sometimes my declined request turned into something even better later.

The more I work at my business, the more I realize that it’s not really a matter of knowing what to do, but actually doing it. If you want the joy of turning your art into a profession and making money for what you do, you must treat it like a profession. It’s up to you. It will not happen if you just wait for it to happen.

There are those who may not agree. Those who think that marketing has no place in the sacred world of storytelling. That art is not a business. If you get paid for it, it’s a business. And you’re not selling out. You’re choosing to be brave enough to go for your dreams. Just like the musicians who sell their albums – to the dancers who perform on Broadway – to the writers who sell books – to the guitar player on the corner who puts out the faded hat for tips.

I will not say it is easy. I will not say there are shortcuts to success. It takes work. It takes courage to pick up that phone, to put yourself out there and risk rejection. Believe in yourself. I believe in you. You have a gift – a talent that a majority of people do not possess. Now go out and sell it.

Kelly Swanson
It's all fun and games 'til the hair gets messed up
www.kellyswanson.net

No comments: